short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Monday 25 April 2011

Easter at Thorpe marshes

  After spending most of the day with caterina in the garden and watching/ listening to the resident Gold finches , I nipped down Thorpe marshes to see what's about . On walking down from the bridge I picked up a singing Sedge warbler from a small bush top. Also I noticed at least 20+ Sand martins over the water ( but no house martins as yet) . I headed down to the cattle fencing area and was actually greeted by ......a unfriendly bullock ! I careful and slowly made my way past him(very quick walk) and pressed on towards the corner end of the marsh and scanned . 5x Swallows over head and more Sedge warblers along the reeds , with a singing Cetti's. I carried on along the path that runs along the river . On the lake there were 2x gadwell , 6x tufted, 2x grey lag geese. Also 4x stock doves & 3x little ringed plovers on the scrape . I got to screen and checked the reeds in front . 3x Whitethroats and a singing wren .


Whitethroat



I looked up for any thing on the sky and saw a male Marsh Harrier coming in . This was the first I'd seen here and was enjoying the colours of it's feathers in the sun. It soared over the water and then suddenly dropped in among the reeds on the edge. I got scope on it and saw 2x moorhens flapping around and calling . It was mayhem down there. Then as the tufted ducks came over calling too , the harrier flew out with what looked like a chick ! It flew off east and was left to watch the poor moorhens swimming around calling out and then going back to there nest , minus a chick if not 2 ?! As I walked a little more I was stopped in my tracks by a swallow chasing and attacking a low flying sparrowhawk ( it's all happening here I thought!) I watched it till it flew across to whitlingham Cp and made my way towards the bridge. I picked up another 3 x whitethroats and a chiffchaff . As I approached the bridge I heard the reeling of a grasshopper . I stayed there for a while and eventually saw it with it's wings besides it's tail , quivering as it sung . It stayed there for a good 30 seconds and then it dropped down . As I got the van 3x Grey Herons coming in to roost. As i packed up  I bumped into a birder named mike ( very nice chap) and he informed me that an Osprey had been seen passing over here. A good patch to keep scanning indeed !!

Who u looking at?






No comments:

Post a Comment