short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Monday 4 April 2011

Barton Broad & Neatishead :

  I nipped out to Barton Broad to see if i could bag myself a Little Gull and possible  returning Tern as i did in April last year. I wasn't disappointed as i scanned out from the main viewing platform out across the Broad to see a  Little Gull  twisting and diving over the water straight out ,along  with  2x Common Terns  ( another for the year list) . As well as them i  enjoyed watching a pair of  Great Crested Grebes   , displaying to one another. Other birds of note were a Reed Bunting, Little Grebe and Grey Heron, along with a singing Cetti`s on  the walk back. I wasn't done there as i drove back through Neatishead i notice some Partridges in a drilled field and pulled over to check for a Grey, but they were only Red Leg`s. I decided to scan the hedges and in doing so noticed a robin like bird flying to and from ground, to fence post. I got excited  and got a little closer along with my scope. I struggled to pick it up again as it hurried across the mud. But when i did i was pleased to see i had got a female Black Redstart!

Black Redstart
 Only my 3rd sighting of this cracking bird in my few years of birding also my best self found bird of the year by far!I took plenty of time enjoying it as it was very aware of me but after a few minutes started to come a little closer , making for some good pictures!


Black Redstart
Roll on April...................

No comments:

Post a Comment