short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Sunday 14 April 2013

Hirundines at the patch

Another sunny afternoon  and another trip to the patch.
 On arrival i had a chiffchaff in song quickly followed by a second one at the bridge. Then as I made my way towards the river a very showy Cettis was on view. I stopped and watched it as it did some sort of display. I couldn't see another near but assumed this was possibly courtship ?
Among the broad was :
2x Pochard
72x tufted
4x Gadwall
2x great crested grebes
And the single little grebe still remained.
On the spit was a common snipe along with a pair of Oystercatchers.
Over the broad I had my first hirundines for the patch this year with 2x Swallows  and then a single House Martin . I think this is the first time I've ever seen a house Martin before a Sand Martin here. But that's the type of spring  it been so far ay?!
At this point I bumped into Paul who I last meet here last spring so a lot of catching up was had about patch sightings - always a pleasure Paul .

As I approached the marsh scrape around 15 x teal took to the sky and a Green woodpecker flew across. 
On the marsh was nothing other then 4x stock doves feeding at the back. Too much water there to see any waders appearing .
As I walked back I heard and saw a reed bunting(3 rd of the day) and another cettis . 
Here's  waiting for  that osprey !
Happy birding 
 Shaky 

No comments:

Post a Comment