short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Monday 8 April 2013

and finally a Chiffchaff!!

This week I've had some much needed sightings
Most common sight of the working days was Common Buzzards( seem to be every where now in Norfolk?!)
Up to 4 south of Norwich at the usual spot. Also a pair of Sparrowhawks  displaying over woods was a nice reminder of start of breeding season( even if it was freightening to snow at any opporturnaty !)
Thursday was another good work day as I picked up around 10 waxwings at the Wensum river near the playhouse . I was cleansing the windows behind and was also lucky enough to see a pair of Grey wagtails on the pump station. The sun was out although cold and was giving hope to spring finally being here!

Also a nice experience on Saturday while at work. I was in drayton and busy clearing a customers gutters when I realised some Long tailed tits coming and going from the hedge below. On my lunch break I decided to to take note of where they were going. It wasnt long before I was witnessing the making of possibly the most beautifully  constructed nest there is! I was lucky enough to watch as they each took its turn in hopping into the half constructed nest and begun to add to it with every small and delicate mouthful. Not my first sight of a LTT nest but my first as regards seeing one being made- a truly wonderful experience and one that made working on a Saturday that bit more easier
But probably bird of the week or even better.... Song of the week  was while in Tescos carpark on Sunday. A singing Chiffchaff ,My first of the year ( cant believe I'm  saying that, second week in may!) . It wasnt the most romantic of spots to  be at but I wasn't fussed as to finally hear that spring time song was a joy to the ears. Little George was awake and too was fascinated as he'd pretty much not heard any real bird songs  for the pass few months and enjoyed watching daddy try to track it's where abouts down while he pretended to drive the car;-)
I hope this it finally it now as for that snow, cold and cloudy days , replaced by sunny days and birds singing !
Happy birding,

Shaky 

No comments:

Post a Comment