short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Shakys back... Back again.... Shakys back tell er friend...

So where have i been? With the euros, tour de France , Olympics and the start of the premier league( yes I'm watching now my beloved west ham are back !) I've been some what preoccupied , but have been making a few visits out. Mostly with Jim who often lets me jump in if I'm able to. A super trip out to Cantley in August produce some rather smart waders , most enjoyable was a close in counter with a Wood Sandpiper. A trip to Buckenham gave me a lifer with a nice view of a Honey Buzzard along with the ever regular Common Buzzards . While at work near poringland I had a pair  of hobbies fly over along with a another hobby in catton both in august . 
The garden list has gone up by two with pair of Grey herons Flying over and too a rather delightful little bird which has now become a regular to the feeders, a Coal tit.
This last sighting brings me to one of my most special moments :


A morning to remember-

Just wanted to share my experience from a saturday morning in September.
Little George(11 months old at the time) woke us up at 6.15 am and i made our way downstairs and immediately heard alot of noise coming from outside the front of house. Me and George pulled the blinds to see a full on feeding frenzy was taking place. We both sat and watched as 9 x gold finches ( 7 of which were young) , 2x great tits, 3x blue tits and a new garden tick in a very busy coal tit,  were all making there way through our selection of feeders ( not bad for a terrace house in the busy city street with only a few nearby trees for company) 
The joy of seeing my little sons face  light up with excitement has left me with a huge beaming smile and a moment to cherish forever. 
It shows that persevering with feeders pays off as I've been waiting for them to come to our small front hedge all year ( since i placed the feeders up last October) and now look forward to waking up every morning and coming downstairs with George to see whats tucking into our array of feeders next , something that I hope will be the start of a very enjoyable hobby for the both of us to share for many years to come . What's more his first word ,after mum and dad was Bird... So it's looking good!
Happy birding,
 Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment