short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Friday 25 April 2014

100!!!

Quick patch visit in hope of views of the Whiskered tern seen at Rockland  yesterday ,( slim chance i know but u gotta be in it to win it, ay?)  gave me my first Whitethroat of the year, followed by a pair of calling Kingfishers which flew over and across the broad and perched in a tree, giving great views.
As I watched the many House martins and swallows over head a singing Willow warbler came from the tree besides me.  As I continued round to the marsh scrape I picked up 4x Blackcaps and at least 5/6 sedge warblers . On the broad a pair of great crested grebes and a pair of Gadwall. On the spit a single Oystercatcher and 3x Stock doves. My first grey lag goslings(3) and also a Kestrel over we're of note. 
But bird of the day and my 100 patch tick was a fly in Whimbrel! 
I watched it come in towards me as i stood at the cattle pen and then drop into the vegetation on the marsh -a really good bird for here. I waited in hope if it showing near the scrape  but i never saw it again .
A superb visit and now for that Whiskered tern to make a appearance :-)
happy birding, 
Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment