short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Monday 5 May 2014

101 and counting ...

I had a good feeling about today's Patch visit , and was proved right
As soon as I had arrived a cuckoo and cettis were in the note pad.
Cettis at the bridge and cuckoo flew across the broad pathway-theres been Reports of a cuckoo here and at Whitlingham since last week so I had hoped to get it .
As I checked the scrape a damselfly landed , along with a few butterflies( not as many as in previous visits though)
Just a couple of lapwings on the floor and a meadow pipit over as quickly made my way round to the south side of the broad. In the scrub and trees was a pair of garden warblers which were in full song,  a bird I only had the once here before so again a great year tick . Now onto the spit : 1x common sandpiper, 1x oystercatcher and 4x stock doves along with a single pied wagtail
In the water just a great crested and a female gadwall along with the Mute Swan.
As I checked the bushes I heard a number of sedge warblers and blackcaps. A pair of Reed buntings appeared and then a cracking Whitethroat came out and sung. Nice views and soon after 2x more . As I checked the spit again I glanced up to the sky and finally I got it...... Little Egret, the bird that got away! That's 101 species for the patch now. As I passed the mooring I heard my first Reed warbler of the year and immediately another. I was again expecting this bird today and another nice returnee. The day was topped of nicely by 2x swifts over which just made my grin even wider.

Happy birding,
shaky


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment