short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Monday 11 May 2015

Patch visits and Buckenham Gold!


   So a few patch visits over the last week to note-
 I decided to head to Careys  meadow before hitting the marsh . As I head round ,I picked up - 7x Swift over ( year tick) then a family of Bullfinches(luvly jubly), also 2 x singing garden warblers 2x Cettis warbler, then a very nice Lesser Whitethroat singing . Notably 5x Common Whitethroat among plenty of Blackcaps too, it really was a place in  song! Then 2 x pairs of Mistle thrush over among the trees as I left.





Garden warbler

A evening visit to the patch later in week with Yorkie & we were treated to Both Nightingales singing ,no Gropper heard but Cettis,Reed,sedge all vocal plus 7x Swallows east.


Little Ringed Plover

 Another visit to the patch gave me my first ( and a little over due ) Little Ringed Plover!There were 2 on the shingle bank . Delighted to see these little fellas return (From conversations with Justin, Probably breeding nearby  as in previous years) again Hobby over west as on last visit here around the same time. Then I had 2x Common Terns drop in .They settled for a while next to the pair of Lapwings before fishing on the broad and leaving east. A nice count 13x Sedge , along with 3x reed warblers ,2x cettis & 2x reed bunting . As I left a calling Female Cuckoo (bubbling) into trees as light was starting to fade was a proper nice way to end the visit .


Common Terns and Lapwings

   Now before I get to my Buckenham Visit I ll just mention a coupe of nice garden ticks. On the 3rd may my first Swift on the street , joined by 6 more on the 5th may . On the bank holiday weekend also a Common tern passed over the street heading south a nice garden life tick.
  Now a trip to Buckenham marshes was a good one . After watching 3x Hobbies over the main pool I was soon looking at a Pectoral sandpiper - a lifer for myself.

a poor record shot of Pec Sandpiper-262
After half hour I decided to head back but a phone call from Mr Bradley stopped me in my tracks. He wanted help getting on it..........from the otherside of the river!  The cheeky boy was pushing his luck for a patch tick! After alot of   " can u see the Redshank near the fence post"  and   " u know... Near the Canda goose, near that BHG nest"  he some how got on it, result!
 As I write this I've just returned from Holkham pines ...... Save that for my next blog post I think!
As usual, Happy birding
Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment