short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Twitching a Finch!

   So last sunday me , caterina and the kids were on our way to Pettitis animal adventure at reedham when news broke of a Citril Finch at Holkham pines west end. A call from my mate Matt saying that he was on route , followed by a mass of activity on Twitter over the course of the morning had me thinking of where I would be at come late afternoon . But family first and after a picnic ,many rides on the Train, cup & saucer & pirate ship, we were on our way home. I decided to check what James, yorkie and Jim were up to. Before I knew it I was on route to pick James up and waiting for Yorkie to arrive at my house. Meantime a phone call from Matt got me very excited as did another phone call from Jim, as they both had been treated to super views & were both on way home. We hit the road & in no time we were driving down Lady Anne's drive , picking up some flying  Brent geese & Oystercatchers over. But these weren't even really noticed as it was a yellow/green finch that we were all thinking about . As we walked along the Pines heading for the west end we would see many birders passing us heading back to there cars all saying it was showing well, we speeded up our walk to now more of a fast walk/slow run . We were greeted to around 20+ people ,among them Steve & Tony who kindly pointed out where it was and then showed us in there scopes. Wow, a stunner! It was out in the open with the sun shining down on it catching its green,yellow and grey.


Citril Finch
We stood there watching it feed around 50 minutes before we decided to go . It wasn't as busy a twitch as I had imagined( hey I'm not moaning it was nice to have some room ) with the drive, walk up and then bird it self was probably the most enjoyable and relaxed twitch I've done so far. Any way that's no.263 on my life list and who knows the way things are going it could be 264 come June!

3 very happy lads!

Happy birding
Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment