short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Saturday 11 June 2011

House martins galore!!!

Well yesterday while at work something happened for the first time in a few months .... I was actually rained off for a an hour !! But this wasnt a wasted hour as I took advantage of the situation to watch the House Martins feed there young on the estate I clean. It got me to thinking ... I've been watching these super migrants return here for the last 4 years but I've never done a full nest count? So I begun. As I clean the whole estate the neighbours know if my love for there feathered friends and weren't bothered by me starring up at there windows( to the passer bys I think I looked like a dodgy fella but hay!)i waited until I definately saw a bird Or two go in and out of the nest to actually count it ( although this doesn't guarantee successful young inside it does i hope show a nesting pair) . I managed to count 21 nests and at least 9 have young that I know off. Im already looking forward to doing this next year and see how many there are !
O , and by the way I managed to also get some work done so was a good day all round !
Happy days :-)
Shaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment