short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Tuesday 3 May 2016

April- part 3

  So  a few patch visits before the month of April ends
 On the 25th A quick evening visit purely with hope of the returning Nightingales from last year. Well no joy there but a reeling Gropper ,male & female marsh harriers and Lesser Whitethroat were main highlights of cold and windy night 
Another late visit to the patch in hale storms ( that's right I'm mad) brought me no Arctic terns as been reported early but what I did get was 22x tufted ducks , a few Swallows passing through 2x Cettis and then a nice Sparrowhawk, that was as good as it got ! 

 On the 27th 3.25-3.45i had a white stork circling and then drifting west over Thorpe broad.  Wow! It's was a beast in the sky and I was amazed to see it.  I rushed to bridge and watched as it drifted away.


White stork
 As I scanned the broad I picked up 2x Arctic Terns and a common Tern. Then as I got to the spit I viewed a large sky full of  Hirundines along with a Green sandpiper and usual stuff. Then 2x common buzzards over and a Oystercatcher dropped in. So 3 new year ticks for the patch a patch lifer in  White stork  
 On the 29 th ,a quick patch visit after work and quickly picked up the mass amount of Hirundines over broad, swallows and house martins but by far my largest count of Sand martins around 50. Also of note 2x Gadwall and 2x mute swan nests and 8x common terns over broad! At this point I got  to chat to Justin Lansdell across the river as he was on Whitlingham side . He managed to pick up another 2 X common sandpipers making a total of 3.

Mute Swan

 April has been a super month for the patch. Most notably was early arrivals of the
 returning migrants. Hope May is as good as this !
 Also of other important matters, West Ham untied have continued there superb run of form and now fighting for a top 6 finish and a European  adventure next season . Well played to Leciester too who have been officially crowned Premier league champions , great for the sport and gives me hope of one day my Hammers doing it !⚒
 Happy birding
 Ricky







No comments:

Post a Comment