short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Sun comes out and too the birds!

With the afternoon forecast  predicting clear skies and  temperature  of around 10 degrees I thought it was about time I nipped to the patch to c what's returned.
Immediately at the bridge I had 2x Chiffchaffs singing and then as I walked to the broad a cettis in full voice was nice. A male reed bunting was one of 4 in total calling as I viewed the shingle spit.
7 x Lapwings , 4x Oystercatchers and 6x Stock doves made for a nice sight. The Oystercatchers making a hell of a racket as one pair approached the others area!
A total of 36x Tufteds along with a pair of Gadwall were of note on the water as was the stil remaining  Little grebe, looking rather smart in the sunlight. A pair of mute swans stood over there nest and a pair of Grey Herons flew over and dropped in to one of the dykes. I made my way round to the marsh scrape and picked up 12x Teal and a pair of Pied wagtails, then the bird I was hoping for... A little ringed plover . A true mark of spring here when they arrive although a little late this year but then again everything is. As I watched it make its way around another was heard calling from the shingle spit.. As I left 2 x common snipe took off and a flock of 7/8 Gold finch flew over . I arrived at the bridge and decided to give the blue sky 20 minutes as it was good day for some raptor watching-
Well after 15 minutes I had seen just a Sparrowhawk and a Kestrel but still no Buzzards , then bird of the day , a Red Kite flew over . A cracking bird for the patch and took my species total to 97 for the patch. A good days birding and surely now to get even better !
Happy birding
 Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment