short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

short eared owl - Thorpe Marshes

Saturday 27 October 2012

Who needs the coast when i have the Patch !

Ok, so i would really have loved to have gone to the coast to witness all the super birds that are on offer(i havent got there since july!) but work was calling so a trip to the patch it was and it meant dodging the rain and hale too!
I Heard just the one Cettis as I approached the marshes and soon picked up the meadow pipit flock of 6/7 . 40+ teal were on the flooded marsh and a single common snipe & a kestrel over head. The broad was a bit better then mid week with wildfowl numbers  starting to climb ( probably from  whitlingham ):
7x gadwall ,
10 x teal
and 5x Pochards .
As I walked back 80+ redwings over was nice. 
I nipped into Careys Meadow and  all was quiet until a kestrel on the ground caught my eye. As the rain started again and as a cracking rainbow appeared, my favourite bird ,a male bullfinch took to the sky and then dropping only a couple of feet away. I was rewarded with sticking it out in the horrid weather with some cracking views. 
Rainbow over Careys Meadows (& if you look really hard theres Bullfinch flying over)


A super ending to a wet but pleasing day.
 Happy birding,
 Shaky

No comments:

Post a Comment